Carl Greve Style Profile- Mark Schneider


Name: Mark V. Schneider

Occupation: General Manager, Carl Greve Downtown

Style icons: Dwayne Johnson



Cities you’ve lived in: Miami; New York City (that’s my hometown, east side Manhattan); Rome; St. Thomas, Virgin Islands (my father was the governor of the Virgin Islands in the 90's); Stuttgart, Germany; and of course Portland, Oregon.

Describe your personal style: crisp and classic with a touch of modern

Best sartorial advice for men/women: Fit is everything. Fit determines how you will carry yourself.

Favorite items of clothing: A well made suit. I have about 23 suits in my wardrobe. As soon as they begin to show signs of wear from dry cleaning they are retired and replaced.

What do you build your daily outfits around? Suit, shirt, tie… in that order.

I feel best wearing: Canali or Hugo Boss suits

Never caught wearing: peg-legged jeans

I never break this fashion rule: You will never find me wearing white socks with a suit.

I always break this fashion rule: Typically, different styles of shirt collars are supposed to be paired with different styles of tie knots. Not for me, I prefer the v-taper of a Windsor knot no matter what type of collar I am wearing.

Favorite shoes (suits, sport, everyday): Ferragamo dress shoes with suits, Nike shoes for sports and excercise, and Ferragamo driving loafers for everyday.

Do you shine your own shoes: Yes, daily. Once a month I have them professionally maintained.

Cufflinks, pocket squares, suspenders or all the above: Definitely cufflinks, I think these John Hardy black and blue sapphire cufflinks are very sharp.


Most underrated item in a man’s wardrobe: Belts. Most men don’t know how to coordinate their belt with their shoes. At a minimum, try and color coordinate.

Your next “must have” purchase: A Harley-Davidson, specifically the V-Rod. It is considered to be the muscle bike of the Harley-Davidson line.



I splurge on: Fine dining and timepieces.

Favorite Portland restaurant: Andina

Favorite timepiece in your collection: A Patek Philippe given to me by my grandfather. It is a Calatrava from the 40’s.

Dream timepiece to add to your collection: Patek Philippe complication with calendar, the 5140J to be exact.



Best Carl Greve moment: Designing a diamond pendant using a guest’s diamond that was part of an old necklace that she rarely wore. We worked together to create a stunning necklace, one that garners compliments whenever she wears it.

Favorite vacation spot: Virgin Gorda, in the British Virgin Islands. It is peaceful and quiet. Only 150 people live there, including Virgin Atlantic owner, Richard Branson, who owns a small island that is part of Virgin Gorda.




Favorite scent: Issey Miyake cologne

Guilty pleasure: I listen to Ludacris when I am driving by myself.

Sports: Martial Arts, and I played football in college at Syracuse.

When I was in high school I wore: A black leather bomber jacket

No comments: